Thursday, March 10, 2011

Releases 10/03


Apologies for the swift overview today, I have a very busy schedule. Here are the Australian releases today:

Rango: A beautifully animated and overtly referential Western, which tributes the great work of John Ford and Sergio Leone. From director Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean), it stars an unnamed chameleon voiced by Johnny Depp. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive. I'll be seeing it as soon as I can.
Rotten Tomatoes: 88%

The Rite: I believe that Anthony Hopkins is great, but The Rite lacks any suspense or chills and is brought down by a dawdling pace. Hopkins needs to choose better roles, seriously.
Rotten Tomatoes: 20%

Howl: James Franco stars as Allen Ginsberg, and Howl follows the story of how the young poets seminal work broke down societal barriers in the face of an infamous public obscenity trial. Franco is great, I believe, but the film is unfocused and fails to engage.
Rotten Tomatoes: 62%

The Company Men: Solid male cast (including Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones and Chris Cooper) should make this appealing. When a corporate downsizing leaves three men out of work they are forced to redefine their lives and face the realities of American life.
Rotten Tomatoes: 64%

So, this week I would recommend Rango. Along with The Rite, it will have a wide release. As for The Company Men and Howl, I'm not sure where they are playing. They could be worth a look if you have an interest in the subject matter or are fans of the cast. Happy viewing! 

4 comments:

  1. I REALLY want to see Rango. I had been interested just from the trailer but the stellar reviews is better than I expected.

    I'm gonna rent Company Men despite the dismal reviews, the premise is definitely timely and I quite like the cast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rango is fantastic! I saw it yesterday! Incredible animation, a perfect voice cast, and a multitude of cultural references. It really surprised me, despite the great reviews. You have to see it.
    I doubt I'll see The Company Men. It's only playing at one cinema in my city, and I doubt I'll have the time. I might rent it too at some point.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys got NEVER LET ME GO, yet? Just wondering...as it comes out here (NZ) tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not until the 31st! Really looking forward to it. We get Griff the Invisible (Aussie film with Ryan Quanten) and Battle of Los Angeles, amongst others. Limitless, i think, also.

    ReplyDelete