Wednesday, July 27, 2011

2011 Toronto International Film Festival Unveils Galas and Special Presentations


The 2011 Toronto International Film Festival, running between September 8-18, has unveiled a stunning selection of films in the Galas (10) and Special Presentations (43) programs. The titles I am about to mention are simply mind-blowing. The thought of seeing half of these films within the duration of a little more than a week sure is a crazy one. Hopefully the lineup in 2012 will be just as strong, as I hope to be in attendance.

Anyway, here are a taste of some of the films, a more in-depth look at the complete announced lineup can be found (here)

Opening Night Film

From the Sky Down (Davis Guggenheim)

Galas

Albert Nobbs (Rodrigo Garcia)
Butter (Jim Field Smith)
A Dangerous Method (David Cronenberg)
A Happy Event (Remi Bezancon)
The Ides of March (George Clooney)
The Lady (Luc Besson)
Moneyball (Bennett Miller)
Peace, Love and Misunderstanding (Bruce Beresford)
Take this Waltz (Sarah Polley)
W.E (Madonna)

Special Presentations

50/50 (Jonathan Levine)
360 (Fernando Meirelles)
The Artist (Michael Hazanavicius)
Coriolanus (Ralph Fiennes)
Dark Horse (Todd Solondz)
The Deep Blue Sea (Terrence Davies)
The Descendants (Alexander Payne)
Drive (Nicholas Winding Refn)
Killer Joe (William Friedkin)
Martha Marcy May Marlene (Sean Durkin)
Melancholia (Lars Von Trier)
Pearl Jam Twenty (Cameron Crowe)
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (Lasse Halstrom)
Shame (Steve McQueen)
The Skin I Live In (Pedro Almodovar)
Take Shelter (Jeff Nichols)
Trishna (Michael Winterbottom)
Twist (Francis Ford Coppola)
Tyrannosaur (Paddy Considine)
We Need to Talk About Kevin (Lynne Ramsay)

5 comments:

  1. I wish I was there too. Next year haha. Yeah, I have no interest in Madonna's film, but films like Steve McQueen's 'Shame' with Fassbender and Carey Mulligan, 'The Ides of March' and 'The Descendants' all look great. I have seen 'MMMM' and 'Take Shelter', and will be seeing 'Melancholia' and 'Drive at MIFF' in just over a week so that knocks over a few. I expect I'll be waiting until 2012 for most of these to reach Australian shores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh damn I wish I saw 'Tyrannosaur' at SFF. Had an opportunity.

    Others I can't wait for are '360' by Fernando Meirelles and 'The Artist' by Michael Hazanavicius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passes sitting on my desk as I type...the question is: Which films will I choose?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. So jealous. Well, of the two I have seen, I can recommend both Take Shelter and Martha Marcy May Marlene.

    I stumbled across your TIFF coverage last year a few months after TIFF was finished. Looking forward to following it throughout this year.

    Hey, my goal is to be in the U.S and Canada for August/September next year. My main goal, to be at TIFF 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I see an amazing lineup of films like that for Toronto, I wish I lived over there

    ReplyDelete