Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Awards Watch: British Academy of Film and Television Arts Announce Nominees


The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) have announced its nominations for the best films of 2012. The Artist tops the nominees with 12, while Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy picked up 11. While there are some similarities to what we have seen with the CCA and Golden Globes, there are some pleasant surprises as well as the usual head scratchers. The ceremony will take place on 17th February.

Best Film

The Artist
The Descendants
Drive
The Help
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Outstanding British Film

My Week With Marilyn
Senna
Shame
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
We Need to Talk About Kevin

The rest of the nominees can be found at The Reel Bits.

Pleasant Surprises.

Best Film: Drive, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Outstanding British Film: Senna, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Foreign Language Film: Incendies
Director: Nicholas Winding Refn (Drive), Tomas Alfredson (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), Lynne Ramsay (We Need To Talk About Kevin)
Leading Actor: Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
Original Music: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Editing: Drive, Senna, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

What the Hell?

Best Film: The Help
Foreign Language Film: Potiche
Supporting Actress: Judi Dench (My Week With Marilyn)
Supporting Actor: Jim Broadbent (The Iron Lady)
Original Screenplay: Abi Morgan (The Iron Lady)
Films nominated for Original Music, and Cinematography: Exactly the same
No Tree of Life. Anywhere.

Still, great to see films like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Drive, Senna, We Need to Talk About Kevin and Shame getting recognised here. What do you make of these choices?

7 comments:

  1. Can honestly say it's the best nominations I've seen from any of the major awards groups. Drive, TTSS and The Help were 3/4 of my favourites from the top 15 or so movies vying for Best Picture. Great to see Drive get some recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy Drive, Shame, and We Need to Talk About Kevin getting some love but no The Tree of Life makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And did you notice The Tree of Life getting absolutely no love? Shocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Alex - You're a fan of THE HELP? I enjoyed the film, but I think it is a straggler in this group - and certainly shouldn't be nominated over something like THE TREE OF LIFE. But I still think there are some fine selections here. It is great to see DRIVE recognised - and Refn for direction.

    @ Steven - I was pleasantly surprised by these awards and I think I have accepted the fact that THE TREE OF LIFE is not going to be nominated, because it took me a while to realise that it had missed out. I was happy to see some different films appear for once.

    @ Castor - Yes, it is shocking. No Malick, no cinematography, no editing. Shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want to buck the trend of Tree of Life here but I didn't really enjoy it, would have preferred TGWTDT over The Help if I was being picky. No cinematography for TOL is a bit of a shock though, it at least deserved that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see Gary Oldman getting a nod, he really should've been up for a Globe as well. I hope he won't be left out come Oscar time. I'm not one of those who are in love w/ Tree of Life either. I didn't hate it but I just wasn't as affected as I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Alex - Fair enough. But I was informed that voters didn't get the chance to see Tree of Life or something, and couldn't vote on a film they hadn't seen. Pretty ridiculous. But, Lubezki should win the Oscar for cinematography.

    @ Ruth - I have just seen TTSS and Shame, and I think Fassbender and Oldman both give Oscar worthy performances. It is a shame, because I really liked MIchael Shannon's work in Take Shelter - and for one of those two to make it, I think he might have to miss out.

    ReplyDelete