Tuesday, December 4, 2012

15 Documentary Features Advance In Oscar Race


The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 15 films (of the 126 pictures originally qualified) in the Documentary Feature category will advance in the voting process for the 85th Academy Awards.

The 15 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title:

Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry
Bully
Chasing Ice
Detropia
Ethel
5 Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
The House I Live In    
How to Survive a Plague    
The Imposter
The Invisible War
Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God    
Searching for Sugar Man
This Is Not a Film
The Waiting Room

The 85th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Thursday, January 10, 2013, in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater. 

What are your thoughts on this shortlist of documentaries? It is great to see 'The Imposter' and 'Searching For Sugar Man', two of my favourite films of the year, progressing. They have a great shot at being nominated but based on the critical reception I expect 'Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry', 'Chasing Ice', '5 Broken Cameras', 'How To Survive A Plague', 'The Invisible War' and 'This is Not A Film' to also compete for the five slots.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen only BULLY from this disappointing list. Ps: I hated that film.

    Central Park Five & Indie Game are quality docs worthy of recognition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like BULLY either. I agree, INDIE GAME deserves more recognition. Fantastic doco. Look, as long as THE IMPOSTER and SUGAR MAN are nominated, I'm fine with the rest.

      Delete